LOVE TO READ? WANT TO READ FOR FREE?

BACKGROUND
I love to read. I love to share. I would love to share my passion for reading with all of you.

HOW THIS BOOK CLUB WORKS

It's a very simple concept. I have a book and I want to share it with you. Just follow these simple steps.

  • #Browse through my collection of books. For tips on how to find a book click here.
  • #Choose one you like. I have provided a plot summary and review for each book to help you.
  • #Leave a comment under that particular post ("I want to borrow this book" or something similar).
  • #Contact me at thehidayahstory@yahoo.com and leave your name and mailing address.
  • #I will mail the book to you and you can read it.


THE INTERESTING BIT

In order to promote reading to others too please do these simple steps.

  • #Tell all your book loving friends.
  • #You may keep the book for 2 weeks (upon recieving it- so notify me when it arrives safely- extensions are negotiable).
  • #After that, please mail it to the next person requesting the book (contact me to get their address). If nobody else has requested the book, simply mail it back to me.


  • Hmm.. I wonder if this crazy idea will actually work...

    ||Sticky Post|| *scroll down to see the books

Looking for something? Search by genre, author or title.

Hidayah's Book Club

24.3.11

The Magicians by Lev Grossman || Review by Dr Yati

After recieving an e-mail from my friend Dr Yati, I realized that in setting up my virtual library (of real books), I had left one out. Last week I lent her this book because she asked me to choose a book I liked but was slightly different. When she gave me her review and mentioned she could not find mine, I also started searching for it only to find that.. I can't find it anywhere. So here is Dr Yati's review of the book. 



lev grossman has written a typical current fantasy story of a coexisting world of magicians in which brakebills is the ivy league equivalent. BUT he inserted within an edgier and punky-gothic adult theme. oh. but wat pains me is its thin-veiled reference to the chronicles of narnia. fillory is essentially narnia,  from the adventres of the chatwins. water as the medium of transfer to the next world. the netherlands sounds like the wood between the worlds in Narnia. i feel like lev grossman has tainted my childhood fantasy story, beautiful narnia becomes 'inky dark'. the protagonists dabbled with wine and free sex, no exploring of sunshine lit forests.... no innocence in this story. it is a harry potter for adults.
 
but then again as the dean puts it quite reasonably: “Can a man who can cast a spell ever really grow up?”  

I enjoyed the book too. Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails