LOVE TO READ? WANT TO READ FOR FREE?

BACKGROUND
I love to read. I love to share. I would love to share my passion for reading with all of you.

HOW THIS BOOK CLUB WORKS

It's a very simple concept. I have a book and I want to share it with you. Just follow these simple steps.

  • #Browse through my collection of books. For tips on how to find a book click here.
  • #Choose one you like. I have provided a plot summary and review for each book to help you.
  • #Leave a comment under that particular post ("I want to borrow this book" or something similar).
  • #Contact me at thehidayahstory@yahoo.com and leave your name and mailing address.
  • #I will mail the book to you and you can read it.


THE INTERESTING BIT

In order to promote reading to others too please do these simple steps.

  • #Tell all your book loving friends.
  • #You may keep the book for 2 weeks (upon recieving it- so notify me when it arrives safely- extensions are negotiable).
  • #After that, please mail it to the next person requesting the book (contact me to get their address). If nobody else has requested the book, simply mail it back to me.


  • Hmm.. I wonder if this crazy idea will actually work...

    ||Sticky Post|| *scroll down to see the books

Looking for something? Search by genre, author or title.

Hidayah's Book Club

11.5.13

Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory



Basic Plot

John Tradescant the Younger found himself in Virginia. Son of the King's gardener, he was there by order of the Queen to find new and unique plants to bring back to the English palace gardens. Instead he found himself in an unforgiving land, where people were too busy surviving to appreciate anything of beauty let alone cultivate it. John soon finds that his journey and his life both in the new world and old fraught with difficulties, obstacles, war and loss. Torn between his loves, his principles and his service to the King, John discovers that people are more difficult to tend to compared to his beautiful blossoms and lush trees.

What I liked and disliked about this book

This sequel to Earthly Joys was as good as, if not better than the original. The language was fluid and painted a vivid picture of both the unforgiving new lands of Virginia and the hard English countryside in turmoil. This story managed to capture the entitlement felt by the early white settlers in their dealing with the land and also the natives who simply regarded as savages and treated like animals. Switching from Virginia to England every few chapters also made the book very interesting as the reader not only follows John's exploits but also that of the family he left behind. It also explores the concept of love and loyalty, and how circumstances can make the most principled of men to be torn with indecision. My only grouse is that in getting to the ending, which I thoroughly did not agree with, the book seemed to drag a little. However, this was probably due to the fact that the author wanted to stay true to the timeline of events that occurred in England at the time. It was also very interesting to learn the history of England during the reign of Charles I. 

A quote I liked from the book

You would have to decide, without advice from me. I do not want a man with half a heart.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails