LOVE TO READ? WANT TO READ FOR FREE?

BACKGROUND
I love to read. I love to share. I would love to share my passion for reading with all of you.

HOW THIS BOOK CLUB WORKS

It's a very simple concept. I have a book and I want to share it with you. Just follow these simple steps.

  • #Browse through my collection of books. For tips on how to find a book click here.
  • #Choose one you like. I have provided a plot summary and review for each book to help you.
  • #Leave a comment under that particular post ("I want to borrow this book" or something similar).
  • #Contact me at thehidayahstory@yahoo.com and leave your name and mailing address.
  • #I will mail the book to you and you can read it.


THE INTERESTING BIT

In order to promote reading to others too please do these simple steps.

  • #Tell all your book loving friends.
  • #You may keep the book for 2 weeks (upon recieving it- so notify me when it arrives safely- extensions are negotiable).
  • #After that, please mail it to the next person requesting the book (contact me to get their address). If nobody else has requested the book, simply mail it back to me.


  • Hmm.. I wonder if this crazy idea will actually work...

    ||Sticky Post|| *scroll down to see the books

Looking for something? Search by genre, author or title.

Hidayah's Book Club

12.8.13

Pecah by Khairulnizam Bakeri



Basic plot

A bank robbery gone wrong? Or is it? When a seemingly professional bank heist ends with one of the robbers getting shot, it is up to the group's mastermind to ensure that everything goes to plan. A battle of wits between the dedicated Inspector Paul and a most unlikely ringleader ensues. Everyone has a motive but some have more than most when revenge is at stake.

My thoughts

Firstly, this is the SECOND Malay book I've read in my whole adult life. I would not classify myself as a book snob, just that circumstances of my childhood have sadly resulted in a situation where although I am fluent in my mother tongue, I am unable to appreciate the subtle nuances of the language (a situation I am desperate to rectify). For me reading in Malay is an uphill task of swimming through words that refuse to form images in my head. They remain stubbornly, as words on paper. 
A very dear friend suggested I watch the movie adaptation of this book because he claimed that the book was amazing. After watching the movie, I was puzzled because, I didn't enjoy it. My friend, who was severely disappointed in the movie too, was adamant that the book was a lot better and lent it to me in order to prove his point. I have to agree with him. The movie did not do the book justice.
I have to confess, it took a bit of effort on my part to persevere an finish this book but it was not at all as hard as I imagined. Firstly, the plot is gripping and well-stuctured with layers and depth. Things are never as straightforward as the reader initially thinks. The flashbacks were done well, adding to the story, explaining without interrupting the flow of the storyline. The style of writing was laid-back, easy to understand (though there were so many words I had never heard of before), informal without descending to bad grammar. It was most surprising to see how action scenes and even "bedroom" scenes were so well described giving pace and subtlety without being vulgar or crude. The star of the book was the dialogue, it was so natural. People in this book actually talked like normal people! A quality very much lacking in the few Malay dramas or movies that I have seen. The author also incorporated familiar everyday references and pop culture, making the story relatable and current. So, all in all, it was a very good read. If all Malay books are like this, I cannot wait to read the next one.

A quote I liked from the book

Aku sangka kau sudah puas musnahkan hidupku. Nyata aku silap.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails